26 June 2018
At Extant, we were frustrated by the lack of clear pathways available to visually impaired performers looking to pursue a career or further professional training. So frustrated, in fact, that we decided to create one ourselves.
Pathways is a free, year-long training programme designed exclusively for visually impaired performers demonstrating talent, commitment and potential for a career in performance. In its first year, Pathways will support 10 visually impaired performers. In subsequent years, Pathways will broaden its focus to include writers and directors as well as performers.
The programme will include:
1. Monthly workshops delivered with some of the UK's leading drama schools, casting directors and theatre practitioners both visually impaired and sighted.
2. Regular mentoring sessions.
3. Bespoke, one-to-one support which may include audition preparation, help with applications for mainstream training or other placement opportunities within the industry.
4. Continuing support from Extant once the programme has ended.
5. An opportunity to perform in a professionally resourced London theatre in an end-of-year showcase.
For further details, including programme details, workshop and showcase dates, click below.
Pathways - Application information [Updated]
To apply, click below to download the eligibility questions and application form. Once completed, email these to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday 29 July. If you need any access support in completing the application, please call the office on 020 7820 3737.
Pathways - Application form [Updated]
Please note that applicants must:
- be a minimum 18 years of age
- be visually impaired
- demonstrate talent, commitment and potential for a career in the arts
- be able and available to commit, attend and travel to London (and organise overnight stay as required) for monthly workshops from October 2018
- be committed to fully participate in workshops and all elements of the programme
We welcome applications from those of any age, including those considering a career change.
We encourage applications from those with some experience in performance but still feel a need to develop their confidence in their ability to pursue work or further training.
Access support is provided across the programme.
We're grateful to Arts Council England for their support of the programme.
[Update:] We're keen to hear from applicants living throughout the UK. To that end, we have put money aside towards the travel and accommodation costs of successful applicants from outside London.